You will need to work out your residence status for capital gains (for example, when you sell shares or a second home) in the same way as you do for income.

UK residents have to pay tax on their UK and foreign gains. Non-residents have to pay tax on income, but only pay Capital Gains Tax either:

·         on UK property or land

·         or if they return to the UK

This short note does not cover off the complexities that this issue can generate. You would be advised to seek our help if your tax residence varies and you own and dispose of property in the UK.

Source: New feed